Sunday, May 8, 2011

ahh Uganda!

Hello All,
arrived all fine and well, but exhausted, on saturday morning. Flights were decent, long but not miserable. The Ethiopian behind me hated me for leaning my seat back and periodically poked my seat over and over, suppose eventually she figured out I didnt care. and crap movies, sadly. but guess that made me sleep more. So far, Kampala looks a lot like Tanzania. Just more frustrating that I don't know any of the langauge and I havent been able to find a fanta passion yet! grrr.

I will be staying in Kampala until thursday or friday, so that is a change of plans. MOM stop reading and skip to the next paragraph.... The recent election has sparked riots in the area and the swearing in is this thursday. Hope, the director of the NGO I am working for is having asthma flare ups from the tear gas used to break up the riots and so we will lay low and work in the office here for the week and travel late in the week.

MOM you can start reading again, I am safe and well, so all is good. yesterday I spent the day chatting with Hope and getting to see how her mother's placement agency for housegirls, drivers, and hotel staff works. One girl came in for a placement and was 22. She had recently lost her only child to malaria. The baby was 7 months old. She spoke so matter of factly about it, accepting it as a way of life I suppose. Um, if my baby had died, I would be a hot mess, not out looking to work with someone elses children! I was not sure really how to take all this.

I have spent the day in Hope's home with her and her family, chatting, eating chipati and pilau (a rice and goat dish) and lying in the yard helping her children with their school work.
My life here in Kampala will be swanky for the week, im staying in Hope's families guesti, and have my own bathroom with an actual shower and toilet! she asked me if it was ok, and i told her it was beyond any expectation. She laughed telling me that the last volunteer refused it and was taken to the hilton, LOL. She is excited to work with someone so unfussy!

It is HOT here, forget the 64 degree nights I expected in Gulu. Last night I slept just under my net and sill struggled after waking up from my 5pm bedtime (jet lag sucks)
Today as cooler, so hopefully tonight will be better.

Bugbite count: 2.
will post more soon.
take luck my loves!

1 comment:

kvdg said...

Glad you made it safe and sound - been thinking about you! Stay safe and I look forward to hearing more as the summer goes on. All is well here. :) xoxo -K