Sunday, May 15, 2011

quick

hi all,
dont have much time... but i am in Gulu! the bus was long but not miserable. i sat next to a man who also places volunteers so we had a decent conversation. he works with refugees and human rights, which is cool. gulu is small- about what i expected. im in the flat now and met martha, my 26 year old housemate this morning. she seems very nice and outgoing and excited to have me here. should be fun. she sells beer in the district and so she is out a lot and knows a lot of people. she also said she might run with me! thinking im not too keen on running alone yet, at least not where the flat is, too busy. I rode a boda (motorcycle) yesterday- made me a lil nervous, the driver laughed at me when i told him to be careful, he had precious cargo.
seem to have reliable power so far in Gulu, might just be the weekend though. not sure how internet will work out, should have good access when hope is in town and at least check emails in the office. looks like ill be eating a lot of omlettes, which is good- especially since i like mine plain, makes it easy since thats what we get over here. Hope is cooking stew for me now because she knows i like it : )
all in all, things are good. havent seen the office yet, not sure ill have a bike, but think i have my bearings of town and where the flat is. not as hot as i expected. its quite comfortable inside, so thats good and at night. we shall see! kickball will be hot, im sure. but nice to know ill have some break. Nancy is already set to find me an MSW so i can come back here for my field work, rather than go to Kenya. lol.
alright. more later and hopefully some pictures!
ah and some acholi words Ive learned!
take luck

No comments: