Tuesday, May 10, 2011

busy busy bees

woah, a crazy two days. Still not really sleeping well, so that makes it even more crazy. I hear the roosters from about 2.30 to 4.30 or 5 every morning. grrrr.

Yesterday Hope and I met to go over things and start really looking into what I will be doing. Ive learned a lot about Gulu and am anxious to get up there. Invisible Children and my interest has given me a good background but there is still so much to learn and understand. The children are decades behind in school, with 20 year olds just now finishing primary school. Those over the age of 25 will never get the opportunity for traditional schooling, which is a big part of the problem in Gulu. When they are on holidays there is nothing for the kids and they have three terms a year and three breaks of around one month each and then two months at christmas. I am charged with creating a kids club of sorts that ill entertain them on the weekends and in the breaks.

OHHH overwhelming! Basically she wants me to plan and run a program this summer for the kids, but also design it to be sustainable after I leave... uh and im suppose to plan it this week and begin running it next week when I get to Gulu... Sowos.. think IP final assignment in one week minus the background info. insane. feel pretty overwhelmed with it all, particularly never seeing the place, kids, or "facilities" I am suppose to function within. Budget is err zero, and I will be writing to Unicef and the other international organizations in the area to get donations and support. WOAH. No way is this going to happen by next week, so I dont know how that conversation will go. Ive drawn up a plan... yes, kickball is coming to Gulu, but havent had a chance to run it by Hope. The program is supposed to be HIV education and lifeskills oriented, with a sport aspect... but i say you cant get kids to come without sport as the highlight. so we will see. Amazing experience, i suppose, if i can pull it off. Not what I thought I would be doing, but thats ok... thank God ive had Integrated practice last semester so i have a concept of program planning.... Gina Chowa would be oh so proud- or well, lets hope this falls together.

I got a cell phone yesterday and changed money. woah downtown kampala is overwhelmingly big and crowded as hell. my cell phone has two sim cards, so two phone numbers, which i think is pretty spiffy! One has a network that calls the US cheaply- they have told me 20 min for a dollar! but last night, i talked for 30 and it said over 7,000 shillings, so $3. the other calls cheaply in Uganda. I will need it a lot as Hope will be in Kampala 50% of the time and i will be in Gulu leading the program alone. oh ya, suppose I should mention the whole language barrier with leading a program. planning is one thing but I am to lead this program with a target of 45 kids who dont speak english! AWESOME! and the only acholi word I learned isnt even a word and now all i know is afoyo- hello and thank you! Bahaha. that will be a good program!

Today we spent the day in town again, still big and crowded but not as overwhelming. went to buy a flashlight and for a meeting with two board members for the NGO. The flashlight is pretty cool, you plug it in to recharge it. then we went to the market and bought all kinds of veggies and things. dried fish! it was crazy and I got asked to buy all kinds of things. ah the joys of hearing muzungu (white person) again... and the kiddos either waved or cried, which is always fun, lol. Traffic is crazy and we actually ran out of gas twice in the city, lol. i am learning to be patient! gas is about $6 a gallon here which is out of control. in the four days ive been here i think ive been to a gas station about 15 times bc you can only afford a few liters at a time!

I am dirty and sweaty, but all in all its been a good day. Seriously thinking about my ability to happily live in Nairobi for a semester... big African cities are not for me! ahh leave that for another time. havent touched any program planning today and still havent even run the ideas by Hope, yeaaaa not gonna happen by the end of the week.

Am ready to get to Gulu and be settled. Am going to have a bike to ride the 6k to work each day. She bought a boda (motorcycle) but I tried to get away from that... apparently thats how people die the most when they travel. I am sure I will have to ride one at some point, but no way am i tryin to drive one every day! leg power on the bike please, and even that makes me nervous seeing how people drive here! it is hotter in Gulu, which I am not looking forward to- should have brought my big straw floppy hat! oh well, getting used to sweating and working on the water consumption.

all in all, things are good. miss home and people a lot- have had some crazy dreams...
So whether you are SHACing, working crazy 13 hour Mondays, or relaxing- know that you are thought about in Uganda!

1 comment:

Kendall said...

WOW. Amazing Libby! I wish I was there helping you! Miss you!!