Wednesday, May 11, 2011

riots that never rioted

so today we went in to town despite the riots... or threat of riots. I have never seen so many police and miliary police in my life, much less that many ak47s or whatnot and strings of bullets. wowzers this town is going crazy. The opposition leader, or the real president, was suppose to come back today but the ugandan gov kept him from getting on the plane, telling kenyan airways that the flight would not be allowed to land if the leader was on it. There were people all over the streets waiting to welcome him back as he is the popular president. Basically museveni rigged the election so he can stay in office and thus the riots about the swearing in tomorrow. Cops with tear gas bottles everywhere- Hope laughed when I said I wouldnt mind getting tear gased.... bahaha, hey its an experience no? mom dont freak out, it didnt happen.

We also went to samaritans purse offices today and I got to see the other end of the operation christmas child. Hope has not recieved the gifts for this year and apparently was left off the list for those shoe boxes we pack in the US and store in the warehouse in boone. apparently a lot of people apply to receive boxes then sell them in the markets though, so the office was talking a lot about adjusting the system and how they have recently completely excluded the jinja district because of corruption. apparently, children are only suppose to get one bx in their lifetime and thats not happening. I also learned that only 40 kids per application go through the discipleship course, unlike my thought that all the kids must profess their belief in jesus before receiving a box, which i had a problem with. So it was good to hear that isnt the case. we will go back tomorrow to meet with them to ensure that gulu is on the list for next year and see about getting boxes this year since it was their error. would be very fun to give out boxes, not quite a toms shoe drop, but still cool, since ive seen the other side in boone.

I used my first pit toilet today! Now I feel like I am in Africa! there is something about peeing in a hole in thw ground that is just so different its wonderful. I also turned my cell on today to look at the calendar and noticed that somehow my google running calendar was imported to my phone! WORD! Blue Ridge runners... i have the schedule now too and will do my best... the 14 mile run my last weekened will not happen though! i did see a white guy running with a jogging stroller today and had to explain to hope and julius that they are common, tey thought he wsa crazy for running with it lol. got the go ahead to run in shorts though- DARN it should have brought some.

alright, distracted by the soap!
take luck

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Can you get packages--like shorts or supplies for the kids?

Libby said...

YES the address is
Hope Okeny
PO Box 2826
Kampala
Uganda
Telephone: 256714768772

MOM sent you an email about sending the boxes from my linen closet!