Friday, May 27, 2011

markets, goats, and babies!

1. I think these lists work well when I have random thoughts to share rather than a narrative like story.
2. im not a huge animal person as most of you may know. but the baby goats hanging in a bag from the handle of a bicycle crying out really pulls at my heartstrings.
3. ive worked out having internet more frequently which is nice, i like to be connected.
4. a classmate from grad school was in a really bad car accident and is in the ICU. she is nonresponsive but has opened her eyes a tiny bit a few times. thoughts and prayers for katherine and her family!
5. Money is messy and creates awkward situations.
6. I spent the afternoon at the market searching for fabric, yes i am picky!, with some evangelists from texas. those who are thinking..whhhhhat are dead on, not my cup of tea. but they were nice and i wanted to give them a shot and hear them out about what they were doing. they spoke to everyone as we walked through, fine by me. they asked the stall owners to pray with them and if they knew jesus, also okay by me. all in all, it was fine by me until i became the target. I felt a bit bad when one of them told me that she wasnt sure how i felt about what they were doing becuase of the look on my face when she told me what she was there for the day we first me. shooot, never have had a good poker face. they asked me if i had a relationship with jesus and various other questions. i tried my best not to be rude or uninterested but they kinda gave up i think when i told them that if i were going to tell people about jesus i would tell them about this guy who shows us how we should live our lives and treat people, how we should feed people, care for the sick and poor, love the least. not about salvation and hell and dying on a cross. and that i think it is a stronger message coming from a ugandan to a ugandan. but, okay overall and i dont think i offended... i did cringe when we ran into others in their group and they high fived and celebrated with dancing that someone they had spoken to was later teaching his coworker about jesus. NOW let me say.... telling someone about jesus is not bad or wrong. just not my role in this big world... not how God wants to use me. tell me that we are all called as Christians to share the gospel and i will say cool- but only use words if you have to.
7. My friend anna is in the hospital and i sat with her yesterday for a few hours. was a decent room, i think i wouldnt die if i had to go to hospital, but would demand that someone stay with me allll the time, i would be so lonely! the nurses were nice, she had tv and a generator, and a real mattress! they gave her all her meds through an IV, which, eww... gimme tablets. but i guess if youre sick enough to get admitted to the hospital you need meds the fast way.
8. mental health. i am very curious what services they offer here. despite the trauma of 24 years of war, there are the normal disorders and challenges that people go through. I have seen some pretty clear mental health cases on the street, and helplessly walked by a 13 or so year old boy who was clearly not in a good place who had sat in the middle of the road. people stopped to look but from what i saw no one did anything. im still turning over and over that i just walked on. There is a mental health district meeting some time soon, so im hoping to go and see what the deal is. There is also a peace corp volunteer who is doing counseling that i might try to get up with, but i have a feeling its hiv/aids counseling. but i think mental health is a big issue.
9. still waiting to get some war stories. the effects of the displacement are clear and there are some clear injuries, there is a whole ward at the hosptial for women whose legs were cut off by the LRA.
10. tomorrow the kids learn to play kickball! YESSSSSSSSSS!
11. sunday martha and i will go hang out with some kiddos at an orphanage that she goes to some times. very excited, esp for the babies!

No comments: