Friday, July 25, 2008

20km. blisters. awesome!

hello again from arusha.
I am in town for the second day in a row, yesterday we needed something to do in the afternoon. Today, we decided it would be a good day to walk from our house to Arusha. I have wanted to do this since we first got here, and so we did. We got up this morning, had a big breakfast- peanut butter bread- and lots of tea- a mistake...- and headed out the door to walk the 20km to arusha. we didnt really plan or think about how far actually 20km is. yes, it takes us 45minutes in a dala dala, but that was okay, we could still walk it. two pees on the side of the road, lots of blisters (stupid chacos!), lots of pictures plus a dead camera, and 4 1/2 hours later, we arrived in arusha, desperate to sit down. What a walk!

We saw lots of cool villages and got to mix with the people in a different way than we have. as we got closer to arusha we got to the shanty towns that lie just outside, a part of tanzania we havent seen too closely, though minimally in usa river. We took pictures of a huge river where people were doing laundry, not in the own spickets like our family does. it was just good.

I am exhausted and am sure i will sleep tonight, after i put some neosporin on my blisters that cover my feet.... 13 miles is too far in some shoes i suppose, even if they are great day in and day out. Tomorrow, we are headed to Moshi for the day. We will meet up with emma, who crazily enough is done done done with her peace corp service... and after two years and 3 months will leave tanzania soon and has spent her last night in her house in katesh. it has been interesting talking to her this week as she spent her last week in site. made me think about my last bit of time in belfast, and how crazy it really is to leave somewhere that has been your home. makes me oh that more excited to get to go back in one week!

Also, when i see emma, i will get my sweet pants that her fundi made for me.... WOO. I wore a kanga, a big piece of fabric as a wrap skirt to school this morning before we left to take back my students report cards, the teachers were like ohhhhhh look how smart you look in your kanga! haha it was too funny. i cant wait to wear them at home and get crazy looks : )

there is my update, more upbeat and more to share than yesterday.
take care of you
nakupenda sana mama na baba na bibi na babu

No comments: