Monday, June 30, 2008

home. but not for long : )




Karibu numbani, to myself. (welcome home)

I am back from a sweet weekend away. I was down in Katesh (in case you havent been reading avidly...) visiting emma for the weekend. It was so so nice to be away for the weekend and to see a different place and way of life. Emma met me here in town on Thursday and we spent the night here in Arusha with another peace corp volunteer. It was cool to see another part of Arusha that i would never venture on my own. We went to a sweet little road side place and had grilled chicken and chips for dinner- it was amazing to have chicken that consists of more than feet, legs, and wings. Its good to know chicken here actually have breast meat too! Friday morning Emma and i got up early, took a dala dala to the bus stand and got on our bus to Katesh. The ride was great- only the first hour and a half or so were on paved roads. The scenery was great and just knowing i was going away for a bit was great.

We got off the bus about 6 hours later in hot, sunny Katesh- a big contrast to the way Usa has been. We walked to Emma's supercute house, where another volunteer was hanging out. We went for rice and beans and to get a few things at the pick and pay. Then we headed down to the huge market that takes place 3 times a month. It was massiveeeeeeeeeee. And vey overwhelming. I let emma and jimmy do all my bargaining and got some sweet fabrics so i can finally get my clothes made! awesome! We got back home after some pictures and started cooking dinner- pasta and tomato sauce. I watched emma light the jiko- a charcoal stove thing, and start to cook. I was amazed at how long it takes to cook... and it was awesome to have the experience to cook for myself, and on a jiko at that. After dinner I boiled some water and got to take a HOT!!! bucket shower! it was freaking amazing! I had forgotten how good hot water can feel. I brushed my hair with a fork (emma has no brush- nor hair really) Then we hung out a bit and went to bed.

The next morning we got up and were lazy in our pj's. But not really lazy, I washed the dishes from the night before, another cool experience my host fam wont let me do..., and then did some laundry- my jeans were, kinda still are, nasty. Then another volunteer came in and we ran some errands to get some things printed for him and then just hung out. Two of Emma's friends came by and i realize just how little swahili i do know. haha. i knew maybe every 10th word. But i did learn some sweet ones: shagalabagala means messy, chaos, etc. And kwa sababu means because. both have a sweet ring to them. i also learned how to say cheers- which is one of my fav words to learn in other languages! its kilala heri in kiswahili. ANYWAY. After phil left we hiked up to the top of this ridge to see the sunset, it was so pretty.

I fell hiking down, so im gonna have some sweet tanzania scars maybe.... we hung out then made dinner... pizzas!
they were amazing. who knew you could make all that on the charcoal jiko? I wouldnt even make it at home! (maybe now i will)

Sunday we woke up and did more dishes and laundry. Then we were lazy and made cinnamon rolls for breakfast. Two hours later we had them- and they were good. two hours to make cinammon rolls... and we made the dough the night before! so insane. but so worth it. Emma has mastered cooking on a jiko thats for sure. Sunday we piddled around town, i got some more fabric for some sweet pants emma is gonna have made for me- they are like nothing you have ever seen before- they go on kinda like a diaper! haha. you just wait.... then we met her boss for a soda and what turned into lunch. Beef and ugali. I only ate the beef and some of that i had to slyly spit into my hand and drop under the table because i literally couldnt chew it. Sunday night I cooked dinner by myself, complete with lighting to jiko- oh ya, i am tanzanian now... (NOT). we made mash, tomato slices, and cheese and crackers- so really all i made was mash. But thats ok. I also took another hot shower. lovely.

I got up early this morning and got the 6am bus from Katesh. I arrived back in Arusha at 2.15 or so, got a bit confused around the bus park, but made it back here to post this for all you to read. I will head back to Usa in a bit, teach for three days, and then head to Zanzibar on Friday for the week! woooooooooo! i am so ready for some sun and another cool place. So i might not post again until then.... maybe take a break from the sunny beaches and my diving course to give you an update. you all should know my birthday is soon soon soon! And im going to visit the orphanage tomorrow, finally! gotta check on my baby!

HOPE all is well, things here are brilliant as always!
why am i only staying 2 months? really...............
xoxo
nakupenda

No comments: