Monday, June 16, 2008

comment. question. answer.

Just read my comments for a while ago. Anne wants more details on the family, which is good- ask what you want to know for i forget what I have told.

We live with the beste family, pronounced like meg and claire - for my family who knows them. We have a mama and a baba, both workin Arusha town. Mama is a librarian at a chuo (college) and baba is in tourism. Barnabus is the 19 year old brother who has finished form 6, or high school, and is looking for scholarships to go to school in tanzania or preferrably abroad, though i think he needs to resit his exams or something along those lines. There is another brother, age 14 or so whose name none of us have managed to catch. He is in school most days and is SUPER quiet, though I am working on getting him to talk. Agape is 10, in 5th grade, and is shy, but helpful. She actually just got named 1st in her class! which is still kinda crazy that they announce a head pupil in each grade. She got a special trip into town with mama on saturday for a meal and her hair done to celebrate. Salome is our house girl. We just learned her story on Friday, she is 13, though she looks 20 and can ring some clothes! The older sister, who is 26, of the beste family brought her home to them after their last house girl saved enough to start school. Salome has never been to school and after the death of her father, her mother sent her with our host sister to be a house girl and earn some money. She does all the cooking and cleaning and the families washing. She is amazing. She loves to laugh at our stories after dinner, espescially when we explained what a taco is at home.... taco here is butt cheek, mtaco being your whole bum. We live in a nice house, with a small room with a bed and bunkbeds. I am on the bottom bunk, which holds my mosquito net nicely. We have a squatting toilet, a porcelain hole, i think i have told you about. I have found that the bucket works best for showers- which excites me!

So that is my family, and my home. I guess I forget the day in day out small details.
more questions, post comments!


No comments: