Thursday, July 14, 2011

sorry for the absence

Wow. Time flies and I've been awful about posting!
Been a busy week, including a birthday for me! I had a very nice dinner with friends at the Ethiopian restaurant and discovered that I like njera, so am hoping to go try the place at home when I get back. I openned encredibly thoughtful presents and cards from friends, including two things I planned to treat myself to, I wire man riding a bike art thing and a simple sewn dress. (well, I call them simple sewn dress because it is a piece of fabric folded in half, and sown down the sides. thats it.) All in all, a very good birthday. I missed people at home, but mark sang to me at midnight and I think he enjoyed being the first to wish me a happy birthday.
I have become more and more addicted to chiapti and wissit has done a great job of endulging my habit. I now know the 3 places closet to the house to get chipati! and will learn to make it by watching, I hope. While watching, I have picked up a bit more acholi, which is good. Though I still think its a lost cause!
I've been staying at the VSO (volunteer service overseas) compound because Martha got a job in Kampala! We'll, a promotion within her company and moved to Kampala. This is what she wanted, so that is very exciting! and it will make it easier for me to see her next spring when I am in Nairobi. She also has admitted to everyone that she has a boyfriend now, though I have known for weeks now. Suppose now we can call him boyfriend not future boyfriend when we talk about him. She is beeming, new job, great man, new city (though she has lived there before) and its fun to see her so happy. She works encredibly hard and has really earned this! YAY martha!
I have gotten some fun things for gifts when I get home and had a great conversation with the craft lady- though she still wouldnt come down on prices too much! tis okay though.
The clinic is slowly coming together at Unyama and I biked out there last week, which took me an hour. Was a nice ride though, minus the last hill. I wasn't sure that I was at Unyama yet, but I thought as I climbed the hill up to the trading center that it better be! As I passed people walking their bikes up the hill, I told myself over and over, I will not get off my bike, I will not get off my bike. I had to stand and push down on the pedals by the end, but I made it! phew. Boda boda back to town!
This weekend, two dear friends get married! Lisa and KB, (and Charles and John) I wish you a fantastic wedding weekend and honeymoon!
Been working on a list of things I've learned in Uganda and will post that soon. Though I am sure it is forever incomplete!
Take Luck my loves!

No comments: